New Brunswick Companies Recognized for Outstanding Export Performance
The New Brunswick Export Awards recognize outstanding export performance by New Brunswick-based companies in the international marketplace. The Awards aim to celebrate the business savvy, entrepreneurial spirit, and innovation of businesses located in the province that have achieved either recent and/or ongoing success in developing new markets.
Award winners are selected by a judging panel made up of carefully selected business experts from the private sector and academia. Judges are chosen based on their knowledge of the New Brunswick business community and their understanding of international trade.
The 2016 awards ceremony was held last night at the Delta Hotel in Fredericton, with companies being honored in five categories.
Here’s a quick recap of this year’s outstanding award winners:
1. The Exporter of the Year Award recognizes the company that represents an all-around excellence in export. The winner is the one that demonstrates a significant increase in export sales over previous years, but also demonstrates solid market diversification, new product developments, and notable innovations.
Winner: Cooke Aquaculture
Cooke Aquaculture was established in 1985 by the Cooke family with one farm and 5,000 salmon. Recognizing that integration and diversification was the key to global competitiveness, the family launched an aggressive growth strategy involving acquisitions, expanded facilities, product lines, and distribution networks.
Today, Cooke Aquaculture is a vertically integrated corporation headquartered in Blacks Harbour, New Brunswick with salmon farming operations in Atlantic Canada, the United States, Chile and Scotland. These include hatcheries, farms, processing facilities, a service and manufacturing division, feed mills, a trucking company and a distribution and sales network in Canada, the US, Europe, South America and Asia.
2. The Innovator of the Year Award recognizes companies who have successfully employed innovative marketing techniques to expand their export markets, and/or companies whose products are seen as cutting edge in terms of innovation.
Winner: Corey Nutrition Company
Corey Nutrition Company is a home-grown company with a “passion for the relentless pursuit of innovation, driven by their love of pets.” Family-owned and operated, they are Atlantic Canada’s only Aquaculture and Pet Food Company, providing optimum nutrition around the world for more than 30 years. They were the first pet food manufacturer ever to receive a Human Grade safety rating – SFQ (Safe Quality Food). Corey Nutrition has always provided strong industry innovation through its science-based, nutrition-first formulas, along with their CoreyTec innovations.
Their tag line “Where Innovation Meets Nutrition” reflects a commitment to taking nutrition to an unsurpassed level in pet food. Their brand development and creative marketing campaigns support their commitment to their customers’ “love of their pets.”
3. The Global Diversification Award recognizes companies who have opened up new markets outside of Canada and the United States. Developing non-traditional markets, or expanding into emerging markets can be difficult, expensive, and resource consuming. This award seeks to acknowledge the perseverance of those companies who’ve expanded their reach outside of the North American market.
Winner: Approach Navigation Systems
Beginning with the maintenance of airport navigation systems, ANS expanded to include the design, installation and maintenance of airfield lighting in 1992. Since that first project with mining companies, ANS has gone on to fulfill the requirements of many Mining, Oil and Gas projects throughout Canada.
To augment the Navigation Systems of its business, ANS expanded into Automated Weather Observation Systems in 1999 and later Road Weather Information Systems as a natural extension of the AWOS program. With the success of many Canadian and international projects, ANS was trusted to design and build a modular control tower for Chevron Nigeria and then for Suncor Energy, and is now determining the viability of this market.
4. The Emerging Exporter of the Year Award recognizes those companies who are new to export within the past five years (began exporting no earlier than 2011). Nominees are judged on a host of criteria including the volume of export sales, level of difficulty in entering new markets, novel approaches taken, and new products developed specifically for export markets.
Winner: Leading Edge Geomatics
Leading Edge Geomatics (LEG) specializes in remote sensing and geomatics solutions, with a focus on airborne digital imagery and laser (LiDAR) acquisition, data processing and information to assist forestry, utility, transportation, engineering and government organizations to map, monitor and manage its assets more cost effectively. Leading Edge has grown from a staff of 3 founders to over 50 professionals in 2016. The growth has been a transition from a regional, airborne data gathering company, to a solution provider, by transforming data into business information to improve decision making.
5. The Foreign-Owned Exporter Award recognizes those foreign-owned companies who are successfully exporting New Brunswick-produced products. While their headquarters are located outside the province, their facilities here provide New Brunswick residents with valuable jobs and make significant contributions to the provincial economy.
Winner: Systemair Inc.
Systemair is a publically traded company and leading HVAC global supplier with operations in over 45 countries with over 4,600 employees. The product portfolio comprises a wide range of energy efficient fans, air handling units, air distribution products, chillers, air curtains and heating products. The products are robust, easy to select, maintain and use.
Systemair (originally Kanalflakt) has been exporting Fantech-branded products into the residential and light commercial construction market since 1995 following the acquisition of Environment Air in Cocagne, New Brunswick, which was a customer specialized in the design, manufacture and sales of residential heat recovery ventilators.
Since then, the product range has expanded to include energy recovery, commercial Air Handling units, Dehumidifiers, Heating and Cooling products.
Opportunities NB would like to extend our congratulations to all of this year’s winners!
Are you ready to become the next New Brunswick export success story? Connect with an ONB Business Development Executive at the button below.
Daniel St Louis