Innovation Awards Spotlights Key Talent and Expertise
Local and national c-suite members stepped out in high-style last night to celebrate some of this country’s leading innovative companies and individuals. The 18th Annual KIRA Awards featured 18 finalists in six categories as well as a new award this year — the People’s Choice Award.
This year’s top talent featured innovation and entrepreneurship in value-added wood, pharmaceutical development, manufacturing optimization, and everything in between. There was no shortage of world-class and industry leading solutions on display.
The winners of this year’s KIRA Awards are:
1. The Most-Promising Start-up Award recognizes companies less than seven years old. Winner: Eigen Innovations
Eigen Innovations provides video and sensor data analytics for process control and quality assurance applications in industrial manufacturing. Their solution combines data from traditional factory floor operational technology with advanced cloud-based data analysis to unlock significant process and operational efficiency for manufacturers.
2. The Economic Impact Award recognizes companies with significant growth demonstrated through new hires. Winner: Groupe Savoie
Founded in 1978, Groupe Savoie is a leading producer of a wide range of top-quality hardwood products, including pallets and pallet components, cabinet and furniture components, hardwood lumber, tone wood components, ecological fuels, wood chips, and more. Groupe Savoie’s vision is to be a company recognized for adding the maximum value to available forest resources.
3. The Innovative New Product/Service Award recognizes companies who successfully launched an innovative product or service (private sector) over the past 12 months. Winner: Mycodev Group
Mycodev Group Inc. is changing the way chitosan is produced. Through an innovative fermentation process Mycodev provides the highest quality chitosan with the benefit of being a non-animal, renewable source. Chitosan is very versatile in medical and pharmaceutical applications. Mycodev’s ability to customize and scale their chitosan to their market’s needs enables a world of life-improving opportunities.
4. The Industry Champion Award recognizes an individual who has had an unrelenting approach to developing his or her industry. Winner: Keith McIntosh
Founder, Co-CEO and President Keith McIntosh, recently launched PLATO Testing, a partner to PQA Testing, with a focus on bringing training and employment in software testing to Aboriginal people across Canada. Because of PQA, Keith has been able to support and mentor groups such as SQDG, yvrTesting, nbQ, Launch36, 21inc, Wallace McCain Institute and Pond Deshpande Centre.
5. The Premier’s Innovation Award – Public Sector recognizes public sector organizations who have found innovative and unique approaches to solving public sector issues. Winner: Horizon Health Network – NB Telestroke
New Brunswick Telestroke is a province-wide system for delivering evidence-based acute stroke care and thrombolytic therapy (TPA) using state-of-the-art telehealth technology. It allows a stroke specialist to examine a stroke patient in real time, regardless of where the patient or specialist is in the province. Horizon Health Network, in partnership with Vitalité Health Network and the Government of NB, helped to create and implement this initiative.
6. The Premier’s Innovation Award – Private Sector recognizes private companies who have provided innovative solutions for government challenges. Winner: Malley Industries
Established in 1979, Malley Industries provides specialized vehicle and product design solutions for ambulances and emergency response vehicles, commercial fleet modifications and wheelchair accessible conversions. Their manufacturing capabilities also include design, engineering and production of specialized plastics solutions and delivery of finished products for the aerospace, defense, security, automotive and food sectors.
7. Keith McIntosh also picked up the newly-created People’s Choice Award.
Opportunities NB is pleased to say that we have supported and worked with 10 of the 12 business finalists and all three of the Industry Champion finalists. Congratulations to all 2016 finalists and KIRA Award winners!
Connect with an Opportunities NB Business Development Executive at the button below.